Sunday, July 18, 2010

Party all the time..












I've been best friends with Tara since 1st grade. I'll be 36 next month. We've been friends for thirty years...thirty. That is just crazy. We've seen each other through most of life's ups and downs. We have had some laughs and cries. It all started with sharing a black crayon. We share such a long history, she knows me so well...she is part of my history.


Cathy is my other best friend. Is it childish to call someone your best friend when your almost 36?..Oh well I don't care. Being freinds with Cathy means we don't have to talk every day but when we are together it is like we were never apart. My friendship with Cathy goes deep. She has shared one of my life's biggest losses with me. She held my hand when Kelley slipped away and she will never know how much that meant to me. She was also there for me in our early 20's to drink many Amstel lights and to rescue me out of the "weeds " during my stint of worst waitress ever at Houlihans. Okay, maybe not worst ever, but most certainly not a very good one!


We celebrated Tara's daughter Gracie turning 2 years old this past week. It was a great time, swimming in the pool, eating pizza and cupcakes and enjoying the company of friends. So, there we all were. Tara and her 3 kids, Cathy and her three and me and mine. As I looked around at the nine children we have between us, I have to say it was pretty amazing. I realized what a gift we all have. We grew up together and now our children will too. There was a special comfort felt among my friends that day. I could casually say, "hey keep your eye on Maeve, while I help Gracie" and we passed baby Keira around like she was one of our own. The kids all played together. Cheering each other on as they took jumps off the diving board or shooting down the water slide. It was a great day.


I only hope that in thirty years, Tara, Cathy and I will be sitting around watching our grandchildren play together.





No comments:

Post a Comment