Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lucky girls


As a child I did not know my mom's parents. They lived in England and I met them only a handful of times. The only memories I have of them are through pictures or stories my mom has told to me. My dad's parents emigrated from Scotland and lived near us my entire childhood. They were a part of my life, but not in the typical way. I have memories of them, but none that are special. They are all gone now, and now that I am a mother I see firsthand how important grandparents are.

My girls are lucky. They have 3 grandparents. David's parents have 14 grandchildren. That is ALOT. When Ava and Livi go to visit Grandma and Pop house they have fun. They get to play, explore and eat cookies. They always ask to go visit again soon. But we all know, that life gets in the way and visits are hard to get in. I love that my girls know them and speak of them.

My dad is gone and I know that he would would just love these girls if he were able to know them. I feel kind of shortchanged sometimes since so much of my life cannot be shared with my dad. It's too bad that my girls will never know him. I try to keep his memory alive through pictures and stories. Somehow I know that he can see it all.

My mom. Their nanny. These girls can barely go a day without seeing her. Nanny is an integral part of their life. She has been there since the twins were babies, I could not of done any of it without her. Come on twin infants is hard work!!

My girls will have so many amazing memories of their Nanny. Memories that matter of time spent together...trips, walks, shopping, laughing, crying, reading, coloring, cooking...the list goes on and on.. I wish I had a Nanny like that when I was a kid.....I guess I was pretty lucky though because I had a mom like that.

1 comment: